Depending on the extent of your budget, a second hand trailer tent could be your best option.
A used trailer tent can still be an expensive purchase so make sure you check it out properly before spending your hard earned cash. Here are a few tips on what to look out for when purchasing a second hand trailer tent:
1. If you have limited experience with trailer tents or indeed any camping equipment take along a friend or colleague who has more experience so that they can assist you in checking out the quality of the item you are looking to purchase. Feel free to take a friend just for moral support as well!
2. Make sure you have a good look at the bodywork of the main unit and check for things like damp spots, rust or major damage. Check items such as hinges and poles to make sure they are in good working order.
3. Don’t be afraid to hook up your car to the trailer and check electrical items such as indicators and road lamps, and 12 volt items such as water pimps and interior lights. Try and obtain an electrical safety certificate also when in negotiations.
4. Check the wind up roof mechanisms to see if they all still work effectively. These are difficult and expensive to fix so they are definitely worth checking. Make sure the correct winding handle is included in the purchase.
5. Check the tyres for signs of fatigue and safety issues. Make sure they don’t have bulges, cracks or any splitting. If you feel inclined, take the wheels off for a more thorough investigation and check the wheel bearings for wear and tear.
6. Look at the kitchen unit to see if the oven is in good working order or whether it needs to be serviced. Don’t be afraid to connect the burners up to a gas source to make sure that you know how to use them and that they work properly.
7. Investigate to see whether the canvas or awning parts are in good order. Look for areas of mildew or mould, especially close to metal components such as the main unit’s bodywork or frames. Check all the zips to make sure that they work correctly and that item’s are not too frayed or split. Check the window areas for damage and look for water stains that may indicate leaks.
When looking at a second hand trailer tent unit, be aware that because of their construction, many things can potentially go wrong with older models. The more care and attention taken when viewing it can lead to fewer problems in the future. Buy with confidence!