When deciding on whether to buy a trailer tent or a folding camper there are a number of things to take into consideration:
1. Is your current vehicle big enough to tow a trailer tent?
2. Do you have a place to store it when it is not in use?
3. Should you purchase a brand new trailer tent or will a second hand one do a good enough job?
These decisions should not be taken lightly as a camper trailer, folding camper or trailer tent are expensive items and can cost anywhere from £1500 to £8000.
People buy a trailer tent or a folding camper for a number of different reasons. They could be used to camping in a family tent but got sick of sleeping on the ground or their equipment was getting too bulky so a trailer tent becomes the natural next step. They could be ex caravanners who need something that is easier to store, easier to tow and is more manoeuvrable than a standard caravan.
There are a number of benefits of choosing a trailer tent over the other forms of camping:
• Off ground sleeping quarters.
• Easy storage; can be stored in a garage on its side for maximum space saving.
• Easy towing; less wind resistance and better rear visibility than a normal caravan.
• Comfortable off ground lounging areas.
• All equipment can be stored in the trailer when not in use so no need for constant packing and unpacking.
Due to objectivity, there are a number of disadvantages to trailer tents too:
• Towing speed is limited to 50mph and 60mph on single track and dual carriageways and motorways respectively.
• Trailer tents take longer to set up than a caravan or RV.
• Motorway use is limited to the two inside lanes due to towing laws.
• It is more expensive to use a ferry or channel tunnel when going to the continent due to longer overall vehicle lengths.
Try hiring a Trailer Tent before you buy!
It is always worth considering hiring a trailer tent for a holiday before committing to buying one out right due to the price. Not everyone will like a trailer tent due to its nature so it is best to see over a main holiday whether you will enjoy the trailer tent lifestyle. This will also allow you to meet dealers and gauge what model would be best for you through their experience. They can lead you through all the items that are needed to optimise your experience and also show you the ropes on how to set up and disassemble the trailer tent after or before transporting it.